The SCAG Scholarship Program is designed to offer local government and planning experience that students can use to develop long-term career goals. The Scholarship will provide a $4,000 scholarship award for seven high school or community college students from the SCAG region (and potentially an additional eighth scholarship award that is not tied to a specific county, but could be awarded at the Committee’s discretion) and a two-week internship with a local planning agency, council of governments, or SCAG. Recipients will also have an opportunity to meet with their local government representatives and practicing planners to discuss the importance of urban planning and a future career in public service.
THURSDAY, APRIL 30, 2015
Mail completed application packages to:
Association of Governments
Attn: 2015 SCAG Scholarship Program
818 West 7th Street, 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
For questions regarding the program, please contact:
Scholarship Program Coordinator
Tel: (213) 236-1906
- Residency: Must be a resident within the SCAG region (i.e., Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, or Ventura County, or on Tribal Lands within the SCAG region), and be eligible to work in the United States. Students will be asked to submit proof of eligibility to work in the United States if selected as a semi-finalist.
- School Enrollment: Must be a high school junior or graduating senior, or currently enrolled in a two-year community college in the SCAG region. Graduating seniors must enroll in higher education (two- or four-year college or university) immediately following graduation from high school (i.e., no gap year).
- GPA Minimum: Candidates must have a 3.00 grade point average or higher (based on a 4.00, unweighted scale).
- Internship Requirement: Selected applicants must be available for a two-week (80 hours) internship with a local planning agency (city or county), council of governments, or SCAG during Summer 2015. Internship assignments will be located as close as possible to the recipients’ place of residence. All recipients are expected to be available during normal office hours for the duration of the two-week internship assignment.
- Visit to SCAG: Scholarship recipients will be required to attend a Regional Council meeting at the SCAG offices in downtown Los Angeles.
To Apply for the SCAG Scholarship Program, Students Must Submit:
- Completed application form (online or by mail). If sending your application package by mail, do not include the instruction page.
- Minimum five-hundred (500) word essay describing your interest in urban planning, public policy, and/or public service and future career goals.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach, and/or your employer (that are not related to you) attesting to leadership ability and public service interest.
- Transcript(s) (official or copy) from the school in which you are currently enrolled. Community college students must provide both high school and community college transcripts.
Things to Consider When Applying:
- Application packages that demonstrate an interest in urban planning, public policy and/or public service, and/or intended majors such as urban planning, environmental planning, engineering and/or political science, will be prioritized over application packages that do not.