PRESENTATION: SCAG Region Economic Update
SCAG’s economic team will provide an insightful look at the state of the region’s economy and the key issues that are affecting the region the most, as well as highlight opportunities for growth and updates on the region’s most important industry clusters.
- Gigi Moreno, Ph.D., Senior Economist, SCAG
- Wallace Walrod, Ph.D., Chief Economic Advisor, SCAG
- Karthick Ramakrishnan, Ph.D., Professor, University of California, Riverside, and Executive Director, California 100 Initiative
PANEL: Keeping Southern California Competitive
The COVID-19 pandemic shined a bright light on the many of the struggles facing Southern California. The region is facing its first population decline in decades, housing has become even more expensive, low-wage workers faced huge unemployment and remote work is becoming a massive part of the new normal for some in the region. These challenges exemplify the widening equity gap, the impact of the digital divide, and the long term effects of the underproduction of affordable housing. At the same time, there is an abundance of opportunity: unprecedented resources are coming from the federal and state levels to support housing and inclusive economic growth, and with hundreds of millions of dollars on the table there is something for everyone. Localities are also using this moment to identify new policy approaches and programs focused on the intersectional issues that can block the road to economic opportunity. This panel will dissect the core issues threatening Southern California’s ability to stay competitive, and highlight funding programs and innovative approaches to kickstarting inclusive economic growth.
- Micah Weinberg, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President, California Forward
- Daryl Fairweather, Ph.D., Chief Economist, Redfin
- David Hickey, Vice President West Business Markets, Verizon
- Dee Dee Myers, Senior Advisor and Director, Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development
- Estelle Reyes, Senior Vice President, Enhancing Community, LA Cleantech Incubator