In celebration of Bike Month, Go Human will be sharing bike safety resources along with safety efforts throughout the region. In May and beyond, Go Human will amplify our partners’ efforts to encourage biking and bike safety across the region.
Go Human Bike Month Resources
Go Human is full of safety resources! We invite you to explore the following offerings:
- Community Streets Mini-Grants - Now accepting applications! Apply today for a mini-grant for up to $10K to support traffic safety and community engagement projects. Applications due May 19 at 11:59 p.m.
- Community Safety Ambassadors Program - Still accepting applications! In the counties of Imperial, Ventura, and San Bernardino, SCAG has launched this paid Leadership Training Program, inclusive of virtual trainings on traffic safety and community leadership. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until spots are filled, with educational programming starting May 24.
- Co-Branded Safety Advertisements - We’ll co-brand print and digital graphics at no cost to jurisdictions, school districts and other partners. Use the Materials Request form to request materials.
- SCAG Safety Pledge - Jurisdictions are welcome to take this Safety Pledge and commit to commit to safety!
- People for Mobility Justice’s First Ever Self-Guided Bike Ride! The Mural Ride returns to the Eastside! The Eastside Mural Ride is a self-guided route that explores the rich arts and culture of East LA communities, such as Boyle Heights, with a long history of artists painting murals that reflect the cultural values and traditions of a majority immigrant and Latinx community. Available in English and Spanish.
- Metro Ride Guides in North Hollywood, the Westside, Downtown and Central LA. Complete a Metro Ride Guide Passport by May 31 to win prizes!
- City of Ventura Public Art Bike Tour through downtown Ventura that takes in more than two dozen pieces of public art.
Classes & Other Virtual Events
- May 13: Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road & Night Riding, 6 - 7 p.m., presented by People for Mobility Justice and LA Metro.
- May 15: Fontana Rides! Healthy Fontana’s community-favorite Fontana Walks! program becomes Fontana Rides! in honor of Bike Month.
- May 17-21: Free Rides for Bike-to-Work Week, presented by Metrolink. One free ride per bike to passengers who bring their bike onboard the train.
- May 18: Cycling 101: Rules of the Road, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m., presented by People for Mobility Justice and LA Metro.
- May 22: Bike In Movie, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m., presented by Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition and Day One Pasadena
- May 23: Bicycling 101: Ask An Expert Q+A, 12 - 1 p.m., presented by Active SGV and Metro
- May 25: Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road & Group Rides, 6 - 7 p.m., presented by People for Mobility Justice and Metro
- May 25: Fix the Flow: Traffic, Parking, Biking, 7 – 8:30 p.m., presented by the Westside Community Development Corporation. Join neighbors and experts to imagine and discuss solutions and envision better streets in this bilingual forum series held on Zoom.
- May 26: Bike Maintenance: How To True A Wheel – Part II, 6 - 7 p.m., presented by Active SGV and Metro
- May 27: Bicycle Transportation: An Introduction to Planning and Design, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., presented by Active Transportation Resource Center and Caltrans
- May 29: Bike Maintenance Fix-A-Flat, 11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m., presented by People for Mobility Justice and Metro
- June 2: Muévete Santa Ana, 4 - 5:30 p.m., presented by Santa Ana Active Streets. Come learn about the City of Santa Ana’s last 7 years of envisioning a more walkable and bike-able place to live.
- June 10-13: The Dream Ride Summer Extravaganza, presented by CalBike, four days of bicycle challenges and self-guided scavenger hunts.
- June 16: Bicycling 101: Making Use of Public Transit Bike Infrastructure, 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. presented by Metro, Metrolink, and LA County Bicycle Coalition
Resources & Campaigns
- LA Rivers Challenge: Ride, Walk or Run LA’s Historic Waterways: Join the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition in a new virtual challenge for everyone at all levels! Reinvented to be virtual, the 2021 event is open to everyone out biking, walking and running safely, with the flexibility to choose your own challenge, while raising awareness for L.A.’s historic waterways.
- OCTA Bike Everywhere Month Campaign: Join the Orange County Transportation Authority for a 31-day challenge. Take the biking pledge and enter the contest to win prizes.
- Long Beach Virtual Bike Month Calendar: Celebrate Bike Month in Long Beach with bike rides, bike history, social media promos, and bicycle infrastructure and safety tips.
- Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition’s May is Bike Month Campaign and Challenges: Take a picture of your bike ride to enter this social media challenge throughout the month of May.
- Smart Cycling Quick Guide and Bicycling and Walking by Older Adults, published by the League of American Bicyclists with support from AARP. Check out these publications that provide the information a cyclist needs to ride a bike safely and confidently in and around traffic.
- Caltrans Active Transportation Plan Surveys: The Caltrans Active Transportation Plan will identify opportunities to improve walking and biking on and across the State Highway System. Click here to take the District 7 survey and here for the District 12 survey.
Is your organization promoting Bike Month efforts? Reach out to us! We’d love to cross-promote any efforts, or support. Please contact Alina Borja at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect.